Stirred, Not Shaken
In This Issue
Cooling Options – Chilled out
- To maximize performance, a cooling system that matches the application is needed. The available cooling options and where they best fit are described below.
Metabolomics – Watered down taste
- Extreme weather with alternating periods of drought and heavy rainfall can negatively affect yield and quality of agricultural crops.
Forensic Dating Services – Gunshot Residue Dating
- To determine if and when a handgun has been fired, forensic scientists are searching for and analyzing Gunshot Residue (GSR) deposits. An extraction technique based on Headspace Sorptive Extraction (HSSE) has now been shown to extract additional information from spent cartridges.
Food Safety – Herbal warfare
- Plant based food and feed can contain toxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs) due to coharvesting of weeds that contain PAs along with the main crop. Experts recommend testing crops known to co-exist with PA containing weeds before use.
Metabolomics – Analytical mass movement
- Metabolomics studies generally require efficient, fully automated sample preparation and the right autosampler.
Water analysis – Stirred, not shaken
- A highly sensitive method for quantitative determination of around 100 contaminants in surface waters with and without sediment has been developed. SBSE is the method of choice for analyte concentration, providing simple, yet powerful, water analysis based on the EU Water Framework Directive.
Presenting the Lab – Always one step ahead
- GERSTEL Solutions Worldwide magazine visited the Ecology Services Laboratories of DowDuPont at the Chemistry Park Stade in Germany. The lab is responsible for water and environmental analysis at the site and we had a look around.
Food Safety Analysis – Refined Risk
- An automated GC/MS-method enables highly efficient determination of 2-MCPD, 3-MCPD, glycidol and their fatty acid esters based on standard methods.
Environmental analysis – Lingering Poison
- Sampling procedures and sample handling are key factors in generating valid analytical results as illustrated in the characterization of concentration profiles of DDT-related compounds in marine pore water.