Acrylamide, which has been labeled as a probable human carcinogen, is hypothesized to be produced during the roasting of coffee beans. And with the high consumption of coffee worldwide, potential Acrylamide exposure has become a hot topic. Unfortunately, Acrylamide determination can be rather challenging because of the presence of coextractives in the ﬁnal extract.
Up until recently, an extremely tedious and time consuming extraction method using manual solid phase extraction (SPE), followed by LC-MS/MS analysis had been the most widely used method for the determination of acrylamide in coffee samples. Luckily, this manual SPE method can be automated using GERSTEL MultiPurpose Sampler (MPS) with Automated SPE Option.
The GERSTEL MultiPurpose Sampler (MPS) with Automated SPE Option for standard cartridges provides several benefits compared with manual SPE:
- Improved recovery, precision and reproducibility
- Maximized sample throughput by performing SPE during GC or LC analysis of the preceding sample
- More than 50 percent time savings for overall analysis, compared to manual process
Benefits of Automated SPE-LC-MS/MS for the Determination of Acrylamide in Brewed Coffee Samples
Coffee solutions were prepared/brewed by using an electric drip coffee maker after which 10 mL of the coffee was transferred to a glass screw top vial to be used for analysis.
All automated SPE PrepSequences were performed using a GERSTEL MultiPurpose Sampler in the Dual Head configuration fitted with the GERSTEL SPE Option.
- A linear calibration curve resulting in an r2 value of greater than 0.99 was achieved with a limit of quantitation for acrylamide of 1 ng/mL.
- The SPE-LC-MS/MS method proved to be accurate and precise. Accuracy data averaged 97.9 % (range: 96.1 % – 100 %) and a precision result of CV = 1.67 % for acrylamide in QC samples was achieved.
- Acrylamide was found in ten of the eleven brewed coffee samples analyzed using the automated SPE-LC/MS/MS method.
If you have any questions about any of the GERSTEL products, technologies or techniques mentioned above, please contact GERSTEL USA by calling 1-800-413-8160 or click here today!
GERSTEL provides custom solutions, including complete solutions that include GC/MS and LC/MS with integrated software control, MAESTRO advanced software control, MultiPurpose and PrepStation Autosamplers, SPME MultiFiber Exchanger – MFX, Automated Liner EXchange, and more.
Automated Solid Phase Extraction (SPE)-LC-MS/MS Method for the Determination of Acrylamide in Brewed Coffee Samples